Whether you’re following a healthy routine for the first time (or if it has been a long time) , here are some helpful tips to keep in mind as you get started. These tips will help you stick with it when you’re feeling grumpy, tired, frustrated or hungry.
Do: Before you start, log your weight, your measurements, and take your photos.
Don’t: Freak out over what you see.
No one likes his or her Day 1 photos or measurements. But, by capturing all of the basic information (how much you weigh, how big your waist and other measurements are etc.), you’ll establish a starting place. Then, when you take down all this information again (we usually recommend taking them every 30 days), you’ll see how much you’ve changed. When your efforts don’t show as weight loss on the scale, they often can be measured in lost inches as your body re-shapes itself. This can be a great motivator to see how much you have changed as time goes by.
Don’t: Weigh yourself every day
Your weight can fluctuate every day based on how much sodium you consumed the day before, how much you sweated during your workout, whether you went to the bathroom, what time of the month it is, etc. If you’re the type who could get discouraged from seeing your weight go up a pound or two (or more) in 24 hours, then I recommend weighing in approximately the same time each week. It’ll give you a better overall sense of the trend your weight is heading in.
Don’t: Cut out all of your favorite foods
If you really want to be miserable and set yourself up for failure, cut out everything you like to eat. If your diet is really bad, a lot of stuff you like might have to go. Soda, fried food, super sugary coffee drinks…Think of this new journey as a boot camp. You’re training for the body you’ve always wanted. So feed that body with the food it needs. Lean proteins, complex carbs, and lots of nutrient-packed vegetables. Think about your diet as an 80/20 split. 80% of the time, eat “clean.” The other 20% of the time, don’t stress about it. If you really want that coffee drink or that cookie, have it. One cookie or one coffee drink, isn’t going to be your downfall. It’s the habits you do consistently good or bad that will make the most difference over all.
Do: Share what you’re trying to accomplish with people you trust and are willing to help you stay accountable.
Don’t: Listen to the haters.
By sharing what you’re doing with those you trust around you, there’s a greater likelihood you’ll succeed because you’re creating a social support system that you’re accountable to. Don’t be discouraged by the people who pooh-pooh your journey. Usually their reasons for doing so stem from jealousy from their own past failed efforts or fear that things will change. Stay positive By reaching out to your support system when you need help.
Don’t: Push yourself to the point of injury
Whenever I start a new fitness program, I assume I’m going to be sore for the first two weeks. Even if the soreness doesn’t last that long, it helps my mind get in the right zone. “Soreness is a right of passage, helps me to remember I have muscles and I can feel them, but it’s still difficult to deal with in the beginning. “Don’t go 100% on day one of any new exercise. Start at a pace that is challenging for your level but at a pace you can gradually ramp things up each day based on how you feel. If you do get sore, back off but don’t stop. Doing a workout at 50% is a lot better than nothing. It will also help your soreness fade quicker.
Don’t: Fall back into old bad habits.
No matter what change you’re making – whether it’s a new fitness routine or a new menu for the week – there are bound to be growing pains. Change can be uncomfortable at first . Prepare to feel a little out of sorts – you might be hungry or just think you are hungry, you might feel sore, you might be a little grumpy in response – and it’s more likely you’ll have an easier transition into your new lifestyle. Soreness and hunger go hand in hand. When you’re sore you’re body is broken down and rebuilding stronger that incites hunger to repair your body. They’ll subside together. To speed things up, consider targeted nutrition or supplementation. The right food and the right time will minimize your desire to over eat.
Don’t: Don’t beat yourself up, feel like you’ve failed, or wait until the next day/week/month to start over.
No one is perfect. . Everyone has an unhealthy meal sometimes or misses a workout. Don’t let that define your day, your week, or your month. Just get right back on track. You’re on a journey and along the way, there are going to be a few misses. If you pick yourself right back up and keep going, you’ll get there.