Support & Education
“The after care is excellent. If I have any questions, I know I can phone and get answers or log on to the Dr Kuri website where everybody is also knowledgeable and helpful.”
– ANN R. | Lost 80 lbs
» Read Patient Success stories
How do I find a Lap Band fill provider in my area?
Your Patient Facilitator can provide you with a list of known fill providers in most states and Canadian provinces. You can also visit the online Dr. Kuri Lap Band Discussion Forum to find fill providers in your area.When you visit the forum, find your specific state support group and look in the fill provider section for a current list. You can also post a question for fill providers in your area, or you may choose to share your own fill provider.
Is there a staple rule to refer to if I have trouble with the Lap Band?
Yes, in fact there are 10 rules that should be part of your everyday lifestyle. These rules are known as the 10 Lap Band rules and they are your guide to a successful journey. If you are following ALL 10 of these rules you will find that the Lap Band is a very efficient weight loss tool. If you choose to omit or skip some of these rules you might end up struggling more then you need to and prolong your weight loss results.We highly suggest that you print out a copy of the 10 Lap Band rules and place them on your refrigerator – that way you are always reminded of them and can refer to them if needed
10 Lap Band Rules
- Eat only three main meals a day, plus two planned snacks.
- Eat slowly, taking pea-sized bites, and chew thoroughly until your food is a mushy consistency.
- Stop eating as soon as you feel restriction from the band. This will feel different from the “full” sensation you had prior to your lap band surgery.
- Do not drink with meals, or for one full hour after eating.
- Do not eat between meals, or planned snacks.
- Eat a variety of high quality nutritional foods.
- Consume recommended amounts of fiber daily.
- Drink 64-100 ounces of non-caloric fluids between meals.
- Do not drink carbonated beverages of any kind.
- Exercise 30-60 minutes on most days.
What is the function of a Lap Band Patient Facilitator?
To educate, share, and guide a patient through the banding process, in the following ways:
- Provide you resources and education about weight loss surgery;
- Listen to your concerns, struggles and your needs;
- Share their experience of what it was like before surgery and how it’s different today;
- Provide answers to your questions about Dr. Kuri and /or surgery;
- Support you as you research your treatment options, and provide you with information to help you with your decision.
- Provide you with valuable first hand experience gained from there own journey as patients of Dr Kuri;
- Encourage you to stay connected with other patients through support groups, the Online Patient Forum and personal experience.
- Support you all the way through you weight loss journey and respect you individual needs;
- Take Care of all your booking arrangements if you decide to have surgery with Dr.Kuri;
- Follow up with you well after your surgery date to help you stay on track and get the most benefit you can with your new tool, the Lap Band.
To learn more about the individual experiences of our Patient Facilitators, click the links below to visit their testimonials in our success stories section:
Where can I talk with other patients that have been banded by Dr Kuri?
Our Patient Facilitators provide you with a list of patients who have been banded by Dr. Kuri. These patients have volunteered to answer any and all of your questions. Don’t hesitate to call them, they welcome your calls!We also encourage you to speak and connect with other patients of Dr. Kuri, by joining the online Dr. Kuri Lap Band Discussion Forum. Dr. Kuri’s online Patient Forum, is a fun and safe place to find new friends who understand you, while getting the support and education you need to be successful with the Lap Band. Our new forum will allow you to choose from a variety of Bandster education topics in the areas of nutrition, exercise, and band care. You may also connect with a support group in your area, by joining one of our state specific support groups. Visit the Dr. Kuri Lap Band Discussion Forum today to learn more.
Who is on staff that can help if I am having trouble losing weight?
We have staff that can help! Patient Facilitators, our Patient Education Coordinator, our online forum, as well as Dr. Kuri, can all help you get back on track. Your Patient Facilitator and Patient Education Coordinator are all previous patients of Dr. Kuri, so they know what you are going through first hand! Their training and experience can help you move to a healthier lifestyle.
Who is on staff that can help with medical questions or concerns?
Your Patient Facilitator can put you in touch with Dr Kuri, or you can call the office directly at our toll-free number. If you call the office after hours, it will ring directly to Dr. Kuri’s personal cell phone at his house. Dr Kuri is available by phone 24 hours a day and in person to address any medical questions you may have.
Who is on staff that can help me with questions about my procedure?
Your Patient Facilitator will be responsible for preparing you for your procedure, and will be available to answer any and all of your questions. Dr. Kuri is also available to answer any questions or concerns you may have. If you wish to speak with Dr. Kuri directly, your Facilitator can arrange that for you.