“Life is about so much more than the number on the scales. For me, it’s about challenging yourself.”
Her transformation is incredible – she’s lost 145 lbs and dropped a staggering five dress sizes.
When Brodie MacPherson, sister of actor Daniel, posted before and after photos on her social media people showered her with support. The images, which clocked up thousands of likes, showed what a difference her two-year weight loss battle has made.
With the images, she posted, “Just when I started to tell myself that I didn’t want to get up for F45 at 5:30am today, partly because it’s raining, partly because I’m not the fittest one there, partly because I have irrational fear about group exercise I was reminded that the hard part is over.
“Life is about so much more than the number on the scales. For me, it’s about challenging yourself and fighting to become the person you want to be, not just in fitness & health – in all areas.”
After having such a positive response on her social media Brodie decided to share her story. Now, in a revealing interview with New Idea she reveals she had gastric sleeve surgery.
“Gastric surgery is a bit of a taboo,” she told the magazine. “There’s this idea that it is the easy way out for lazy people but I couldn’t disagree more. It’s a really positive tool that can assist you to reach your goal.”
In the piece Brodie, 25, details how she dropped 20kg and then her weight loss stopped so she pursued the option of gastric sleeve surgery. In November 2014 she had three-quarters of her stomach removed.
“I’d put in an enormous effort, but when you weigh 146kg, it doesn’t make that much difference when you lose 20kg,” she said. “People just ask if you have a haircut, or say you look fresher.”
Talking about sharing her story she posted on social media, “As a woman it can be challenging talking about your body so publicly but this is something I really wanted out there because life’s too short not to wake up every day & celebrate being you!”
What is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
A surgeon creates a small stomach “sleeve” using a stapling device. The rest of the stomach is removed.
What are the Benefits of Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
- Hunger is reduced.
- No adjustments are required.
- Shorter operation than gastric bypass.
- Does not re-route intestines.
- Weight loss occurs over 18 months.
- Recovery has been noted to be painful for some, not too bad for others.
- You’re given medication to help with the pain.
- Some are outpatient procedures so you don’t have to stay overnight, other surgeons prefer you to stay for observation for 1-2 days.
- Most people can return to work in 2-4 weeks, depending on your type of work (i.e. heavy lifting).
- Patients commonly lose around 60 per cent of their excess weight.
- People who fail to change their eating and lifestyle habits after surgery can regain weight.
Article Source: Body & Soul