When considering any surgery, the education and experience of the surgeon should be at the top of your list. Dr. Kuri has been performing surgery for more than 30 years. Early on he saw the potential of the Lap-Band for improving health and overall quality of life. Dr. Kuri is celebrated and has been honored as a Latin American pioneer of Lap-Band surgery, having performed nearly 5,000 Lap-Band procedures since being certified in 1968.
Dr Kuri has since dedicated 100% of his practice to Lap Band surgery. Since that day he has helped not only thousands of his own patients, but has also been instrumental in the training and teaching of many of the surgeons who perform Lap-Band surgery around the world today. This distinction has made him the top Lap Band surgeon for many years.
Dr. Kuri is available to patients both prior to and after their surgery. He is fluent in English and is able to answer questions or concerns a patient may have.
His dedication is apparent to all who know him. He treats his patients with dignity, and respect. Dr. Kuri also maintains a large team of support staff available to his patients to address their individual needs.
Professional Work Experience
• Specialized in Surgery at National Medical Center, Mexico City in 1981
• General Surgeon at Tijuana Baja California Hospital No.20 1981-1984
• Chairman of Surgery at Tijuana General Hospital from 1982-1991
• Chairman of the Division of Surgery Tijuana General Hospital 1986-1992
• Laparoscopic Surgeon specializing in the Lap-Band procedure 1998 – Present
Education and Training
• Graduate of National University of Mexico School of Medicine 1970 – 1975
• Introduction to Medical Specialty Hospital No.25 Social Security Mexican Institute 1977-1978
• Board Certified as a General Surgeon in 1975
• Residency in General Surgery at the General Hospital National Medical Center Mexico City 1978-1981
• Trained in BioEnterics Lap-Band Procedure by Dr. Mitiku Belachew and Dr. Armando Castillo in 1998
• Senior Professor at University of Baja California University School of Medicine 1983-2000
• Sinodal of final examination for the School of Medicine Baja California University 1983-2000
• Professor of Post Graduate Surgery Specialty Tijuana General Hospital 1986-1992
Medical Organization Leadership and Participation
• Member of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery
• Member of the California Chapter American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
• Vice President of Surgical Association of Baja California 1986-1987
• President of Surgical Association of Baja California 1988-1989
• Active member of International Federation for the Surgery for the Obesity
• Member of the Mexican Medical Society of Obesity Surgery
• Member of the Mexican Association of General Surgery
• Member of the Mexican Association of Endoscopy Surgery
• Member of the Latin American Society of Laparoscopic Surgery